Mandarin Beef Stew
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup Dynasty Chinese Stir-Fry Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dynasty Chinese Five Spices
- 4 carrots, cut crosswise into 1-inch widths
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 ounces Chinese pea pods, trimmed
- 3 cups hot, cooked egg noodles
Cut beef into 1-inch cubes; discard excess fat. Combine flour and pepper in plastic bag. Add beef; shake to coat all sides. Heat large saucepan or Dutch oven over high heat. Add oil; coat pan. Add beef; brown on all sides. Mix in tomato sauce, stir-fry sauce, five spices and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer covered 40 minutes. Add carrots and onion; cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add pea pods; cook 10 minutes longer or until beef and vegetables are tender. Serve over noodles
Makes 6 servings, 1/2 cup noodles and about 1 cup stew each.
Per serving: 492 calories, 31.5 g protein, 9 g fat, 32 g carbohydrate, 496.5 mg sodium, 90 mg cholesterol.